Monday, July 23, 2007

Artist of the Week: Peter, Bjorn and John

7/23/07 - This week's artist of the week is the Swedish Indie Pop band Peter Bjorn and John. Aside from the overly creative name, the acronym that has come to abbreviate the band is PB&J. I first heard of the band while looking at the catchiest songs of 2006 list. I figured I'd give "Young Folks" a chance, so I did and wow, it was stuck in my head for probably a week. As I've mentioned before, I'm a huge fan of whistling and thats about as good as it gets. After I heard the song I went and purchased the album ;)... Anyway, I was blown away at how much I enjoyed it. Although the rest of the album may not have that oh so catchy whistling, the are quite a few pop gems.

Recently I was watching TV and saw a Levi 501 commercial and I knew I recognized the song somewhere. I don't know if you watch much TV, but it's the one where the dude pulls up his jeans and a phone booth comes through the floor with some babe in it. Anyway, the room like explodes and the apartment turns into the streets of new york and "Up Against The Wall" begins to play...really made me wanna buy some jeans, pretty ridiculous if you think about it, but I don't think there is a better song to take a stroll to. Either way, I'm pretty sure Writer's Block will crack my top 20 at the years end, and I apologize for not knowing about any of their previous work, heh.


Weekly Picks
peter bjorn and john - young folks
peter bjorn and john - Amsterdam
peter bjorn and john - up against the wall
peter bjorn and john - the chills


Anywho, here is the "young folks" video, I hope it gets stuck in your head.



No comments: