Tuesday, June 24, 2008

VH1 Rock Honors: The Who

Now I don't normally sit down for hours at a time and watch specials on tv, but I found myself doing just that a few days ago. VH1 has been advertising that "VH1 Rock Honors: The Who" for some time now, and I really didn't think much of it. However, I was flipping through the channels and I must have caught the second showing of the documentary. Let me just say, I almost feel like a more complete person after watching it. I mean I've heard a lot of their music and about them through my parents and whatnot, but I guess I never really gave it much attention and really took them for granted. It was neat that the entire documentary was through their perspective rather than some clown just going through their discography. These guys were great, they were pioneers, and I really had no idea. I always assumed Roger Daltrey came up with the lyrics, being the lead vocalist. Being in this naive position, it was news to me that the guitar god that is Pete Townshend was actually this introverted artistic genius. From the pop rock to the rock orchestras, I couldn't change the channel and have been on a listening binge since.

I don't know if there is something I find more entertaining than listening to musicians or people associated with musicians talk about all the 'behind-the-scenes' action they experienced back in the day. I think I mentioned this when I ran into a sound engineer for the Bowery Ballroom in the 70's on my trip to NYC/british sea power show. Anyway, back to the documentary, all the inner turmoil, the pirate radio stations, the smashing of equipment and just letting go and channeling all emotion into their music. That is what it is all about, and this documentary left me with that fist pumping fuzzy feeling inside. There really isn't anything like music. I feel like I'm being incredibly cliche and that I should be adding a "...man" after every sentence, but I don't care.

Happy Listening,
tony

No comments: