Friday, July 25, 2008

Listening To: Great Northern - Sleepy Eepee


Alright, I just wanna get this out of the way, I really can't stand the album name. Luckily my response to the music is the complete opposite. So this EP was apparently recorded before their debut album "Trading Twilight for Daylight". I really enjoyed their debut, full of haunting, melodic vocals and dreamy soundscapes. It's hard to believe that after Trading Twilight, they had a few more unreleased gems. Sleepy Eepee picks up where Trading Twilight for Daylight...uh...started? The album gives a lot of the same vibes, which is a good thing.

I have been looking for a copy of this album for some time and I'm really glad I could finally give it a listen. Sleepy Eepee is perfect for putting on and just soaking in your surroundings. I first listened to it on a 12 hour car ride, and I can honestly say, it made those 25 or so minutes of the ride a lot more enjoyable.

The music has an epic feel to it, like something meaningful should be happening when the song is being played. A while back I noticed they were featured on this really dramatic NBA playoff commercial, perfect usage, my props go out to NBA marketing.

The standout song on the EP is definitely "This is a Problem" in my opinion. Solon Bixler takes the lead on the vocals on this track. His vocal style seems very relaxed, fitting in perfectly with the dreamy synths and shoegazing. The piano in this song is really what grabs me though, it really ties together the unique vocal harmonies resulting in a very climactic 4 minute and 42 second journey.

That is two extremely solid releases by the group, and I think there will be plenty more to come. It is the perfect blend of catchy, relaxing, and melodic music. I would like to personally thank Solon for ditching 30 Seconds to Mars in favor of Great Northern. I would keep an eye out for this band.

No comments: